Why This Blog? Why Now? Why This title?

I am no longer blogging under duress. This part remains true: I had a blog once and I lost the password...and then, I gave up. I really am not a giver-upper, but there is a point of diminishing returns to anything that takes energy, passion, and vision and yet, doesn't work out. So, off I go again, wish me luck! AND knock on wood I have had luck. And it is sort of fun.
Noreene

P.S. Why this title? I read this phrase today 6/16, don't remember where. I liked it. I'm using it. I might change it. It may or may not have relationship to the content.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wildlife Photography and Other Thoughts and Tips

I took a walk this AM, (one of my newly rediscovered former passions...see past blog post) and took my camera because I often see things that I want to take a picture of (sometimes I take my sketch pad and do what sketchers...not the shoe people...call "an event walk", but that can make a walk take a really long time)

Tip #1--figure out where the sun should be for the picture you want to take...I'm still working on that one. I hope the answer is not that I (the photographer) should be looking into the sun. I would appreciate any insight on this from my readers.

Tip #2--Never wave at a bird when you are trying to take its picture. Sounds like a no-brainer. Here is the short story. I have been trying to take a picture of a bird (any bird) sitting on these cactus-looking plants that grow in the fields by my house. Of course, every time I get close, the bird flys away. Well I was walking along, not paying attention to much of anything when I saw this great bird sitting on the cactus-like plant, preening itself, close enough to get a shot...the very picture I was looking for...I was so thrilled I waved at the bird to say hi, and it flew away. Lesson learned!

Thoughts
I think I don't often have a lot of nice things to say about utility companies. I would like to redeem myself a bit right now. I believe that the utility company in my area installed the street light fixtures. They are very tall and have a box on top that holds the light bulb. The nice thing is that these fixtures create a great place for birds to stop by, have a chat, and a great place for folks like me to see a wide variety. So, hats off to the utility company!
Noreene

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh out loud! Maybe we can take a photography walk together soon!

    Marci

    ReplyDelete