Why This Blog? Why Now? Why This title?

I am no longer blogging under duress. This part remains true: I had a blog once and I lost the password...and then, I gave up. I really am not a giver-upper, but there is a point of diminishing returns to anything that takes energy, passion, and vision and yet, doesn't work out. So, off I go again, wish me luck! AND knock on wood I have had luck. And it is sort of fun.
Noreene

P.S. Why this title? I read this phrase today 6/16, don't remember where. I liked it. I'm using it. I might change it. It may or may not have relationship to the content.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Joy of Creating, Revising, and Redeeming

There is a phrase that we use at my school...Revise and Redeem! It is not our invention, we borrowed it from a presentation that Linda Darling-Hammond (don't you just love her name?) gave at an ELOB national convention several years ago. She was speaking to the value of revision, the value of the journey and not necessarily the destination, and allowing yourself the freedom to revise and thus redeem your work--several times--over time. Well, I've just finished a round of creating, revising and redeeming--and it feels good!

Based on working with teaching teams in designing Learning Expeditions and the work of Ron Ritchhart, the  steps for designing Learning Expeditions are newly revised and redeemed to include a greater focus on assessment, collaborating, communicating, critical thinking, and creating AND some great ( in my opinion ) resources to support the both complicated and rewarding process of designing a Learning Expedition.

The creating part is my new site about iPads...really designed for a PD next week...the site itself will be short lived. And this is the cool part...you've probably heard of "flipped classroom" well...we're trying "flipped PD"! Teachers will hopefully work their way through the site, learning some care and feeding tips that would normally be the first part of PD, leaving that much more time to explore and differentiate for individuals. And another cool part is that I made my first youtube video, and also used an app called "show me" (an interactive whiteboard) to illustrate some parts and functions of iPads. I'll let you know how it goes.
Noreene

2 comments:

  1. Noreene,

    I loved your ipad site. I learned some new things by watching browsing the site - like how to make folders. I can't wait to hear about all of the new resources for writing Expeditions. You are sure on a roll and having a very productive summer. Thanks for doing all of this. I truly appreciate all of your time and effort.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the ipad 'flipped PD' to be a very safe learning experience! I am fortunate to have an Ipad to follow along...of course, I got behind, so loved being able to rewatch and try again! I'm so impressed that you made your own youtube! The modeling and mentoring that you and Jill have provided me has really empowered me. Thank you! I agree with you...we have a really awesome school!

    ReplyDelete